Article by Wendy McCance
Looking back over the last few years, I am very happy with the progress I have made within my freelance writing career. I have met some wonderful people, worked on some incredibly interesting projects, made a good living and I do what I love every day! Even so, I always look forward to the new year. Itâ€™s a time to review, revamp and create new goals.
This year I have a new list concerning the direction I would like to go. I will be doing less writing for others and more writing for myself. Professionally I am focusing most of my energy on social media management and helping companies gain exposure on the web. Personally, I would like to develop my writing and make a name for myself within the writing community.
In the past I have focused full years on social media efforts. Building my brand, adding content to my platforms and prospecting for business. Now that I have created several solid social media sites, I can add the weekly post or two and reach out to new followers with ease. Because of the years I spent heavily prospecting, I am getting just as many inquiries that pop up in my email as what I am putting out there. So this year, I am taking a different approach entirely.
This year because I want to focus on my personal writing, I will be doing the following:
- Enter writing contests (which I have never done)
- Add to the conversation by writing a comment below writing articles that I have enjoyed
- Join writing groups online
- Pitch ideas to magazines in print and online with the hope of writing an article for the publication
- Pitch ideas to some well-known writing websites with the same goal in mindÂ (I have done this before with success, but only tried a few times)
- Connect to more people in the writing field through social media (I am decently connected, but there is always room for improvement)
- Continuing to write and share articles on my website that might help writers that are trying to make the leap into freelance work
The list isnâ€™t long and as the year goes on Iâ€™m sure Iâ€™ll come up with some additional ideas, but I definitely have a goal and I have a plan laid out.
What about you? Do you have some goals laid out to further your writing career? Leave a comment in the box below. Iâ€™d love to know what you have decided to do to make this year your best year yet!
To contact Wendy McCance about a writing or social media assignment, interview or speaking engagement, please email her at: [email protected]
Latest posts by Wendy McCance (see all)
- Top Parenting Blog Winner - June 19, 2017
- Interview with Claire Cappetta of Clarified Lifeline - April 27, 2017
- Rewrite Time - April 25, 2017